The Landmarks Commission reviews all potential landmark sites that exemplify or reflect the broad cultural, political, economic or social history of the nation, state or community, and are identified with historic persons or with important events in national, state or local history. The Commission also reviews alterations to designated landmark properties and structures.
Norbertine Novitatiate San Damiano 1947
George Kalbfleisch Jr. Home and Farm Site
Monona AW Built in 1956 Closed 1991
Stone Bridge Park - Springhaven Pagoda
Tonyawatha Springs Hotel 1897
Royal Airport Historical Marker
Monona Becomes a Certified Local Government
On June 6, 2018 Monona achieved Certified Local Government (CLG) status, as designated by the United States Department of Interior upon the recommendation of the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
As a Certified Local Government, the City of Monona’s Landmarks Commission is responsible for enforcing the historic preservation ordinance, overseeing the designation and protection of historic properties, maintaining a qualified commission, and providing opportunities for public participation in the local history preservation program.
71 cities in Wisconsin, including Monona, have been designated Certified Local Governments. The benefits to being a CLG include:
- Eligibility to apply for Wisconsin Historic Preservation Fund Subgrants from the federal Historic Preservation Fund allocation to the state, to be used for eligible CLG activities. The City of Monona was awarded a $24,000 subgrant to conduct an architectural survey of the city.
- Ability to formally comment on National Register of Historic Places nominations within its municipal boundaries before they are sent to the State Historic Preservation Review Board.
- Eligibility to authorize the use of Chapter 11 of the International Existing Building Code for locally designated historic buildings.
Intensive Survey of Historical and Architectural Sites
The City of Monona has been awarded a $24,000 grant from the Wisconsin Historical Society to undertake a community-wide intensive survey of historical and architectural sites. The grants, formally known as the "Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) subgrants" are administered by the Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO). At the federal level, the program is managed by the National Park Service (NPS). The HPF is funded by federal offshore oil leases, not tax revenues. Only Certified Local Governments are eligible for this grant. Monona achieved its CLG designation in 2018 and is working on administration of this first grant for the architectural survey project.
A Request for Proposals (RFP) was distributed to pre-qualified consultants as determined by the Wisconsin Historical Society. The RFP period is now closed.
The Landmarks Commission will make a consultant selection to carry out the survey project in Summer 2018. The architectural survey project will be completed by August 15, 2019. A general outline of the project timeline is as follows:
- A public education meeting will be held to introduce the project and the principal investigator to the community.
- The reconnaissance survey will be completed per guidelines in agreed upon City of Monona Work Plan, prepared by the State Historical Society.
- Work will be completed on the "Intensive Survey" including (1) Site specific research (for all properties potentially eligible for the national register) and (2) Preparation of the survey report (including a list of recommendations for the national register and sections on an historical overview, architecture, and designers, builders, and engineers in the City).
- A second public education meeting will be held after the survey is done. The survey consultant will discussion the survey findings with the Commission and the public.
- Rebecca Holmquist, Citizen Member
- Erik Lincoln, Citizen Member
- Rick Bernstein, Citizen Member
- Alderman Doug Wood, Chair
- Branda Weix, Citizen Member
- Anne Wellman, Citizen Member
- Sonja Kruesel, City Planner and Economic Development Director
- Mary Murrell, Citizen Member